Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pan-seared scallops with Hatch green chili cheese grits





I've been crazy about Hatch Chili's since the first time I had them at Central Market in Fort Worth. You buy them roasted or you can roast them at home. I buy them pre-roasted just to save some time. Plus when you do that, you can buy a nice big tub of them in oil, and freeze some and use some.

So I've been going to make Jon Bonnell's Creamy Grits with Shrimp and Sausage for some time, but life got in my way and I never quite got to it. So when I saw those chili's in the fridge, I decided it was time. I love anything that's a starch, so tonight was the night.

I improvised some Jon, and used what I had in the house. So forgive me. My husband Ed said I should challenge you to a grits cookoff...that's how much he loved them (and me : ))

So here's what I did. Please go get some at Central Market before they're gone and pick up the Hatch Chili Pepper Recipe Book they did last year too. So many recipes it's hard to know where to start. I really want to try the pre-made Hatch Chili Scones and I've already had their pre-made Hatch Chili burgers. OMG....best burger ever!!!! Can't be bad in a scone either~

So here it is....Ode to Jon Bonnell's Cheese Grits (improvised from his first cookbook, "Jon Bonnell's Fine Texas Cuisine.") Go buy it right away at Bonnell's Restaurant web site . Fantastic chef, fantastic cookbook, fantastic man.

Ode to Jon Bonnell's Creamy Grits with Shrimp became:

Pan-seared Scallops with Hatch Green Chili Cheese Grits

Grits
1/4 cup shallots
3 cloves garlic pressed through garlic press
1 tsp salt
3 - 4 spins of cracked pepper from grinder
1 tsp butter
1 cup 2% milk
1 cup chicken stock
3 Hatch chili's chopped with most of seeds removed
1/2 cup Carolina Plantation Stone Ground Grits (a gift from my good friend Angela)
1/2 cup grated white cheddar (which was all I had in the fridge)

Scallops
2 Hatch chili's chopped with most of seeds removed
3-4 Tbsp. oil
20 medium sized scallops

To make the grits
Saute' the shallot, garlic and chili's in the butter in a saucepan until tender. Add the 2% milk and the chicken stock and stir until simmering. Add grits and whisk until thickened. Lower heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Turn heat down to low and start on the scallops. Add cheese and stir until melted. Let grits set for 5 minutes before serving.

To make the scallops
In a non stick pan, heat the oil and add the chili's. Cook until they begin to warm. Add scallops 6 at a time (if it's a big pan). If you add too many to the pan, they'll boil instead of brown. Cook in batches about 3-4 minutes per side. Start removing the chili's as they start to get dark. Add more oil as needed.

Place the grits in a wide bowl and place scallops beside the grits with a couple placed on top.

PS - I did not even season the scallops. They came in the frozen bag from Super Targe' and they were delicious.

And be sure to buy the Hatch Chili Cookbook at Central Market!

No comments:

Post a Comment