Friday, February 27, 2009

Mom's Sloppy Joe's




My mom is the reason all 3 of us kids are cooks today. She worked when we were teenagers, so she'd leave us a note on the counter and tell us what to make for dinner....and we did it (quite well) a lot of nights. We did it together - my sister Sandy, brother Gregg, and I, so that made it fun...and we could blame each other if it didn't taste good.

But I've gotta tell ya, I have no recollection whatsoever of anyone ever saying it wasn't great. We did a pretty darn good job. Or at least we thought so....

So tonight,when Ed was going to be at the Dallas Maverick's game, I rumbled through the fridge, and decided to make SLOPPY JOE'S~

Mom's Sloppy Joe's
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
one onion diced
salt and pepper
1/2 cup flower
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
hamburger or hot dog buns...whatever ya got!

Brown the diced onion in the oil, about 5 minutes. Add the ground meat and cook until meat loses it's red color. Add the flour and salt and pepper to taste and stir until mixed. Add the ketchup and water and stir until thickened. Serve in hot dog or hamburger buns and VOILA~ SLOPPY JOE'S.

Ok - now here's the real reveal....I served Sloppy Joe's, leftover Chicken Lo Mein, Chicken Nuggets, and Egg Rolls. OMG-really!!! I did. It was just me and the boys and they ate every darn bite. It's called "digging stuff out of the 'fridge for dinner when the hubby's not home." You ever done that????

1 comment: